Void linux rocks
Void linux it is a built from scratch GNU/Linux distribution made in Spain by JuanRP (Who is not in the project anymore) and contribuitors. Its main feature are:
- Its own package manager, the x binary package system (xbps). It is very fast unlike the insanely slow dnf or apt.
- A lot of packages avaiable for default. IceCat is in their main repositories. There’s also i3-gaps.
- Insanely fast download servers.
- You can compile the packages by yourself with xbps-src.
- No systemd. It uses runit by default. (a GOOD init system).
- It does not use man-db.
- Easy installation. Unlike Arch or Gentoo.
- Very lightweight.
- Has non-free packages in a separate repository.
Void is a very good distro but it has very shitty stuff you may not deal with:
- For advanced users.
- No texlive in repos. You have to download and use the texlive installer script. Which is bad because it leads to descentralized packages.
- There are some useless packages in their repositories. Such as XMonad. It only install the binaries but not the required Haskell libraries XMonad needs to work.
That’s all the bad things about Void, Void is one of the best distros out there and it deserves a try.